Gong Bao Chicken – Chinese
Without a doubt, Chinese food is one of the most popular international cuisines in the world.
Kung pao chicken is a quick and tasty Chinese dish that hails from the Sichuan province and uses both chilies and Sichuan peppercorns.
This is a famous Sichuan-style specialty, popular with both Chinese and foreigners. The major ingredients are diced chicken, dried chili, and fried peanuts. This recipe is really easy to make though some of the ingredients may not be in every pantry. Although you can replace some of the ingredients with more commonly available ones…learn how to cook this delicious and tasty dish:
- 1 lb Skinless Boneless Chicken Thighs
- 1 tbsp Cornstarch
- 4 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1/3 cup (38g) Unsalted Peanuts
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 2 tsp Szechuan Peppercorns
- 4 Dried Red Chiles, roughly chopped or crushed
- 2 cloves Garlic, peeled and very thinly sliced
- 1-inch piece of Ginger Root, peeled and very thinly sliced
- 4 Scallions, trimmed and roughly chopped
- Combine the chicken, cornstarch, and 2 tbsp soy sauce in a small bowl. Mix well and marinate for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a dry skillet over medium heat. Add peanuts and toast for several minutes, until golden and fragrant. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a skillet on medium high heat. Add peppercorns and dried chilies and cook, stirring ocassionally, until fragrant and the chiles turn brown.
- Turn heat up to high and add chicken. Cook until chicken is cooked on both sides.
- Add garlic, ginger, scallions and peanuts and continue to cook until chicken is cooked through. Remove from heat and pour remaining soy sauce over the chicken.